Wednesday 8 April 2009

Smoking


In the United Kingdom about 10 million people smoke, and that is a lot, it is a health risk so why do people do it?? It just confuses me as to why people smoke. According to statistics people aged 20-24 are most likely to smoke compared to any other age group. Many youngsters think smoking is cool at a young age and experiment to see what it is like and many at the thought of looking cool carry on smoking. Another reason could be peer pressure and trying to fit in with those who are around them.
I personally don’t smoke and hopefully would not pick up this bad habit, even though I do have close friends that do smoke and have been smoking for years. I just think it smells and damages your health. And most of all the money spent on cigarettes is unbelievable, in the UK alone £12. Billion is spent, I seriously think more people would not be in debt if they gave up smoking and used that money for a good cause. According to the Yorkshire bank 1.1 million people who gave up smoking from last year saved £1 billion pound collectively. I would rather save that money and do something useful with it. I’m glad with ban in 2007 as now us non-smokers don’t have to deal with that horrible stench and the risk of getting lung cancer through passive smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment